Wes Gerrie practices in commercial and business litigation for Newman & Lickstein, delivering stalwart representation based on each client’s business model, immediate needs, and long-term objectives.
Prior to joining the firm, Wes defended corporations and large businesses in negligence, premises liability, products liability, and other tort matters. He has worked with businesses across many industries including long-term care, municipalities, retail and hospitality, sports and entertainment, and architecture. In addition to his tort defense work, Wes also handled defamation claims, intellectual property litigation, real estate and title litigation, and contract analysis.
Wes graduated magna cum laude from Syracuse University College of Law, where he was a member of the Justinian Honor Society, a member of the Student Leadership Committee, and an executive editor of the Syracuse Law Review. He was also a recipient of the Law Review Distinguished Leadership Award and the Student Organization Award for his work as President of the Entertainment and Sports Law Society. These honors were received while also serving the University as a Student Mentor, the Head Academic Success Fellow, and a member of the SUCOL Ice Hockey team. Following graduation, he was elected to the Order of the Coif.
Before earning his law degree and passing the bar, Wes gained experience in an externship with the Syracuse University Office of Technology Transfer, where he worked on copyright and trademark applications, research contracts, and licensing agreements. After this, he continued to work at Syracuse University as a compliance intern for the Athletics department.
Wes has been living in Syracuse since 2014 and is a Syracuse basketball fan. An avid golfer having competed in various junior tours until going to Law School, Wes enjoys golfing across Upstate New York with his wife, Amber.
- Syracuse University (J.D., magna cum laude, 2017)
- Wilfried Laurier University (B.B.A. with specialization in Brand Management and Marketing, Dean’s List, 2013)
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District
- “More than Just the Game: How Colleges and the NCAA are Violating their Student-Athletes’ Rights of Publicity,” Texas Rev. Ent. & Sports, Vo. 18 (Summer 2018)
- “Say What You Want: How Unfettered Freedom of Speech on the Internet Creates No Recourse for Those Victimized, Catholic University Journal of Law and Technology,” Vol. 26 Issue 1 (January 2018)
- “All Bets are Off – Daily Fantasy Sports Embroiled in Legal Battle in New York,” Syracuse Law Review Legal Pulse (February 2016)
- Quoted in “OSHA Steps Up Use of Drones for Inspections,” EHS Today (August 2019)
- Order of the Coif
- Justinian Honor Society
- Syracuse Law Review, Executive Editor
- 2016-2017 Syracuse Law Review Distinguished Leadership Award
- Student Mentor
- Head Academic Success Fellow
- International Hockey Arbitration Competition of Canada, Finalist
- Syracuse University College of Law Entertainment and Sports Law Society, President (2016-2017), Vice President (2015-2016), Public Relations and Social Media Chair (2014-2015)
- 2016-2017 Syracuse University College of Law Student Organization of the Year Award – Entertainment and Sports Law Society
- Syracuse University College of Law Student Leadership Committee Member