Steven serves corporate and individual clients as their trusted legal advisor in business, technology, strategic matters. He gives reasoned, efficient, actionable, business-oriented advice to help clients achieve their goals in a pragmatic and cost-efficient manner.
He specializes in working with high growth and technology businesses, family businesses, private investors, and individuals, in matters ranging from business transactions, angel and venture capital investments, technology and intellectual property, and personal planning. Steven works with clients in all stages of their life cycles, from early stage startup businesses, business owners preparing for their next big move, and individuals seeking strategic legal guidance.
Steven brings with him the experience and approach of working at two of the country’s leading law firms in Boston for nearly a decade: Gunderson Dettmer, the world’s most active law firm serving the technology and venture capital communities, and Nutter McClennen & Fish, one of the most prestigious law firms in Boston since its founding in 1879.
While Steven primarily focuses his practice on helping clients with their business transactions and strategic planning, he is also an experienced litigator. His experience includes handling cases ranging from small contract disputes to complex matters with $30M+ at stake. He has helped achieve excellent litigation results for technology companies, manufacturers, real estate investors and developers, family businesses, consumer product and retail companies, and individuals in matters ranging from business and contract disputes, white collar criminal and regulatory investigations, employment matters, and intellectual property litigation. He also serves as local counsel in the Northern District of New York.
Steven is a native of the Syracuse area, and resides with his wife, Connie, and their three children in Jamesville, New York.
Buying and Selling Businesses
- Sale of a Saratoga, NY-based video game software development firm to a global acquirer.
- Purchase of a regional printing technology and services company.
- Sale of a New York-based digital media company to a California-based acquirer.
- Purchase of a Boston-based manufacturing equipment distributor.
- Sale of a regional professional services agency to a competitor.
- Sale of a Boston-based children’s content publisher.
General Legal Counsel
- Family businesses on transitions, reorganizations, and other tax and personal planning goals.
- Real estate transactions for commercial businesses, multi-family investors, and residences.
- Professional services firms on contract, IP and employment matters.
- Manufacturing technology company on joint ventures, IP and dispute resolution matters.
- Influencer marketing company in general contract and commercial matters.
- High growth restaurant chain in strategic partnerships, employment and financing efforts.
- Digital media services agencies in contract, employment and dispute resolution matters.
Technology Companies and Venture Capital
- $4m angel financing of an early-stage cannabinoid manufacturing and sales company.
- $2.7m venture capital financing of a sales platform software company.
- $2.2m venture capital financing of an early-stage biotechnology company.
- $2m strategic partner financing of a video game technology services company.
- $1.5m venture capital financing of an early-stage biotechnology company.
- $1.5m venture capital financing of a consumer food & beverage company.
- $750k angel financing of an early-stage human resources data analytics company.
- $700k venture capital financing of a consumer data analytics company.
- $600k venture capital financing of a micro-weather data software company.
- $375k angel financing of an e-commerce company.
- $350k angel financing of a digital health software company.
Investor-side counsel in numerous seed and growth stage financings.
Counsel to numerous companies who have been awarded grants, business competition prizes, and other sources of startup capital.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Enforcement and defense of non-competition, non-solicitation and other employment-related disputes.
- Founder, investor and other types of business partnership disputes.
- Construction, real estate and other complex commercial litigation concerning real property assets and business disputes.
- Trademark infringement, trade secret, and false advertising litigation.
Steven routinely speaks on matters specific to the entrepreneurial and technology community at The Tech Garden, the Central New York Biotech Accelerator, Upstate Capital, and the NEXT Conference and Tech Showcase.
- Boston College Law School, Alumni Scholar (J.D., 2009)
- Binghamton University, SUNY, magna cum laude (B.A. 2006)
- Jamesville-DeWitt High School (2002)
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit